Tag Result

Tag Result

Zakynthos (Zante) Island is almost triangular in shape, with two green mountainous promontories extending into the sea to form the huge bay of Laganas.

Tag Result

Search for: 'saint' | Includes 14 records
Saint Andreas Monastery at Volimes in Zakynthos
Saint Dionysios Museum
In the building of the monastery strofadon and the church of St. Dionysios in Zakynthos town has been established since 1979 the church museum which contains relics of this monastery. The museum was founded after desire of then coached Daniel Giants and the initiative of Metropolitan Panteleimon of Zakynthos. The museum is housed in the entrance hall of the main building of the monastery. There are various objects painting argyroglyptikis and weaving.
Saint Dionyssios Monuments in Zakynthos Zante Town
The church of the patron saint of the island is biggest that exists in the city. The foundation of the actual temple began in 1925 and was completed in 1948. The church was built with the plans of architect A.Orlandos. Observing the belfry we will find a lot of resemblances with the belfry of the church Saint Markos in Venice. Next to the church stands the monastery of St. Dionisios with the cells of the the nuns and the museum of the church .The building was renovated in year 2000. Due to its antiseismic construction, this building was one of the few that did not collapse ...
Saint George Monastery
The area of Gremna is northwest of Zakynthos (Zante), a place imposing and grand that provokes fear in the visitors and agitation of the soul.One of the imposing scenes of Greece is the magnificent "Shipwreck" which is also situated here.Established in 1535 by the priest-monk Makarius and Monk Varlaam Beletis is the monastery of St George. Many ecclesiastic personages like priest-monk Yerasimos Notaras (St Yerasimos afterwards became the protector of Cephalonia), and the Zakynthian theologist and teacher, Monk Pahomios Rousanos lived in this monastery.The tower ...
Saint Georgios Filikon
Saint Ioannis Prodromos Monastery
This monastery is found near the settlement of the Hartata, on the northern side of the mountain Melissa.Originally established in 16th century, but dissolved and re-established again in 1617 from the devout Katastarians Anthony Marinos and George Sapatis. In those centurys the monastery met lots of glory.In 1753, within the garden, there was two churches, seven houses and one tower. At about the middle of the l9th century it also established a rich historic record. The church had great arts which were saved from the earthquake of 1953, but the monastery now i...
Saint Marcos Square | Zante Town | Live Webcam
Saint Markos Square
St.Markos square used to be the most important center for the social life of the Zakynthians. Big names of remarkable litterateus chose this square to meet and exchange their opinions. Many historical decisions for the political evolution of the island were taken in this Square. In 1797 the Popolari burned there the Libro D Oro of the nobles. The Tree of Freedom in the centre of the Square represents the release from the Venetians and the welcoming of the French republicans. In St. Markos Square is also found the Catholic Churh of St.Markos, founded in 1518 The catho...
Saint Mavra Maxairado
Although the Church of Agia Mavra in Mahairado does not contain precious jewells, and although the archirecture it is built follows the normal Royal standards, it is considered to be a very important church. The castellated belfry is enough to give the church an imposing presense. The belfry was built in such a way, that when the bells ring their sound is heard at a very long distance. Inside the chuch is kept the thaumaturgist picure of Agia Mavra, jewelled by numerous and valuable offerings of the religionists. According to tradition, the thaumaturgist pictu...
Saint Nikolaos Beach
Beach: Pebble and rocksDistance from Zakynthos town: 30 km.Rating: 6/10Located in: Agios Nikolaos VolimonBelongs to the municipality: ElationOther nearby beaches of Makris Gialos XygkiaOther beaches in the same municipality: Makris Gialos, Shipwreck, Xygkia, Porto Oats The deep clear waters of the little bay of Agios Nikolaos is ideal for swimming.The area of Saint Nicholas Volimon is not particularly well developed mainly because of the large distance from the center of the island. The port of the bay hosts the fishing boats in the area,...
Saint Nikolaos Beach
Beach with: SandDistance from Zakynthos (Zante) town: 17 klmRate: 9/10Resort: VassilikosArea: Aghios NicolaosBelongs to: Municipality of Zakynthos ZanteGeographic position: G. width: B 37,43 - G. length: A 20,59Other nearby beaches: Dafni, Gerakas, Ionio - Banana, Kaminia, Porto Roma, Porto Zoro, SekaniaSubeds & Umbrellas available for rent The beach of Saint Nikolaos has taken its name from the small church of Saint Nikolas that stands on a small hill, in the end of the coast.This is the most cosmopolitan beach of island....
Saint Nikolaos on the Mole Solomos Square
The church of St. Nikolaos of Molos is the unique Venetian building that survived the destructive earthquake and the fire in 1953. It was built in 561 from the guild of Seamen, who in order to it honour St.Dionsios, elected him to be its vicar. Initially the church was built on a small island which was linked to the mainland with a bridge. After the several embankments that took place in the island for its extension, the island was linked to the mainland. Externally the church is faced with Stone and the belfry (which in the old days accommodated the Light of t...
Saint Virgin Faneromeni in Zakynthos
Saint Virgin Keriotissa
The church of Virgin Keriotissa is a real ornament, not only for the village of Keri but for the whole island. The initial form of the church is unknown to us. Today`s building has been renovated in 1745. This date is incised above the southern entry of the church. The church was renovated in 1953 (after the earthquake) , maintaining its initial architectural style.The temple contains important works of art that honour the development of the fine arts in Zakynthos (Zante). The woodcut and gold-plated baroque style temple, was made in 1750, from Ioannis Gropas and Nikolaos Logotheti...