Not very far away from the village of Orthonies is the historic Monastery of the Virgin Spileotissas.
Founded in the middle of the 16th century from the Monk Ioannikio Katsiva whom at a very late age nominated legally, the Hierarch and Abbot of Anafonitria, Dionysus Sigouros, later the Saint and protector of Zakynthos (Zante), as his catholic warden and supervisor.
The monastery was possessed of great property, which allowed it to be organized as a building group (1674).
Significant is the ancient icon of the Virgin Spileotissas which - for traditional reasons - was hidden in those years of Iconoclasm.
Today we have there the Abbot Archimandrite Dionysus Pilarinos. Telephone : 2695031218